Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympics: 1; Knitting: 0

In honour of Day 1 of the Winter Olympics and because of this woman, I am making an Olympic effort on a project for which I have had the resources (but not the will) for some time. The resources are: 2 skeins of lovely Fleece Artist Scotian Silk, 1 pair Brittany 6mm needles and a sideways knit cardigan pattern.

I am usually a knitter of socks on 2.25mm needles upon which (even though they are pretty teeny-tiny) I have cranked out a fair number of pairs over the past five years. In fact, sock knitting kept me from going through the phone lines to the hapless minions on the far end who had to deal with me and The Sr Boy's estate issues (Remember The Eviction? The Socially Challenged B-I-L??) and sock knitting kept me from complete decompensation at last May's mediation hearing. Plain knitting in self-striping yarn is my preferred drug of choice and I'm reasonably good at it.

But it can be a bit of a rut. Where is the Citius, Altius, Fortius in doing what I can (almost) do with my eyes closed??

So, I decided to knit a pattern that looks somewhat as I want it to look in the end except for the fact that they knit it on a circular and I am going to use straights and still alternate yarns (one has to do that with handpainted as it can get weird between skeins - trust me!) AND except for I did knit a swatch of the pattern's pattern and I don't like it so I am knitting it plain. Sort of like Freestyle Skiing: I have similar gear to other participants and I will get down the course, just not necessarily in the same way as everyone else (this is why I knit not during the Summer Olympics: I am not too set up for Synchro Swimming and Running in Lanes).

The idea was to cast on as the Olympics opened. A really good idea and I figured I would have at least half the back worked by the end of the opening ceremonies. I mean: I usually use 2.25mm needles and was going to use 6.0mm needles - even I could figure out that things should move fairly briskly. It would have been totally possible, too, if I hadn't enjoyed wearing(fondling) the yarn skeins so much over the past several months.

Day One Knitting Olympics Wrap-Up: One skein wound up. One skein still looking like a plate of cooked spaghetti. Actual knitting: None.

Maybe this Olympic Knitting is going to be more of a challenge than I expected.

Citius, Altius, Fortius. Evolvius.

Still breathing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home