Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Activities: Anaerobic and the Other Kind

There is another Mant working at my house. I do not pretend to even approach the level of Mant reporting done here, however, this one has been, as they say in Newfoundland: right some busy. The 2x6 is still across the front door but there is a skeleton of a deck out there and it is possible that I will be breaking my Lenten booze-fast with a glass of wine on my new deck on Easter Sunday. Glory be and Hallelujah!!

It has not been without the usual queries/issues but, mirabile dictu, things get resolved when the homeowner is present during the process. Who knew??

There has also been a modicum of personal involvement - nothing that I couldn't have paid for but why pay when one can DIY?? And die is about how I felt after spending 5 hours Sunday afternoon crawling across joists with stain roller in hand. I do not "do" heights. (defn: anything that I will get badly hurt by falling from, solid ground doesn't count.) Both The Jrs got that gene from their father. I can rock climb up no problem but one look between my knees and I'm glued like a limpet to the face. Picture me on joists at 16" centres, about 10' off the ground and then add my own height and my belief that my head is the heaviest part of me (cf. actuality of the weight of me arse) and, furthermore, that were I to start falling, I would somehow slip between the joists without getting caught up. The word for this is "tense" which will explain why I was some challenged to move on Monday.

Today being Tuesday, I'm doing better.

The Mant was impressed with amount I had done.

Stubbornness The Jrs. get from me.

In other news: First running session finished with an acceptable (defn: finished, didn't barf or cry) 5km anchor leg in the local half-marathon relay. All our t-shirts are 10k ones,though, so I guess that sets the next bar.

And next time, my running partner will not be a 6'3", 27 year old, hungover smoker with a stride about 4x as long as mine who has just finished a double breakfast sammie. Hmmmm... on second thoughts, had he been my size, etc. I'd have been left in the dust. As it was, he could run and chat away the kms - easy for him: he could have walked with that stride length and still kept me up to the mark!

Still breathing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home