Monday, May 19, 2008

Moments

and longer:

- shorts (condition and colour of legs bedamned) for third day in a row

- tulips unsullied by deer lips

- deer waking me up by thumping through the hedge to sleep on the neighbour's garden instead of ours

- the white lilac blooming after 5 years of niente

- Ballet Kelowna's "Affairs of the Heart"

- fresh, local asparagus in the market and my frig

- Bonanza Red marigolds - 1 flat (the image is a bit of a cheat but the colour is right on)

- these books: The Gin and Tonic Gardener; Weather Report; The Blue Hour of the Day; The Gospel of Thomas

- delight of a good Guzzi sale

- new hanging baskets

- 39 + 14 bags of garden refuse

- using Agnes as a stump-puller

- not burning out Agnes' clutch

- a lonnnnngggggg Spring

- piano practice

- small plans


Still breathing

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was given a copy of "The Blue Hour of the Day" as a gift, along with Patrick Lane's "Last Water Song". Certain poems strike me at different moments, for different reasons.. Especially when I am feeling quiet and off-balance and slow and uncertain. This one in particular has a grip on my heart.


UNDER THE SUN IN THE DRY DESERT HILLS
WHERE THE RAIN NEVER FALLS IN AUGUST
(Patrick Lane)

In deep sand a beetle shoulders her way toward paradise.
A sunflower, wild with yellow, covers her with one shadow.
Among the grains of quartz, one bruised garnet, a cone of pine.
The beetle clambers. There is nothing like her in the world.
Almost blind, I get down on my knees.
My bare feet have the same soles they had when I was born.
My mother is dead.
Among many things I am alive. Still.
A single drop of water falls.
The beetle stops for a moment, but she does not drink from the salt.
There is somewhere she has to go and she goes on.
Mightily.

11:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home