Sunday, May 03, 2009

New Career??

Well, that went better than expected!

Upon checking The Cottage on Tuesday, "There," as my family likes to say, "he was gone" - Yay!!!! Upon close checking, there it was ICK!!

While there weren't crreeeepppyyy crawlies or needles or other such lovely things, there was grotty person dirt. And stuff: odd stuff - an apparently good pasta pot - he must have lifted one from work and doesn't need another?? All the cleaning supplies - what, he's not going to clean in his next place? Oh, wait, he wasn't cleaning in this place so I guess he didn't need 'em. A scrofulous hide-a-bed. 27 clothes hangers. And so on.

Large sighs of relief heaved about the emptiness and a bit of concern about the stuff + dirt issue. More discussion with Dad: do it ourself and take weeks vs get help and get it done. He agreed that the two pages of single-space typing listing cleaning and repairs required was going to take too long if I had to leave again soon (I do) so back to the phone and help was acquired.

Here is what money can buy: 2 lovely Cleaners: hard workers and easy on the eyes who started at 0730 and finished at 1630 (that's 16 hours of cleaning for a 500 sq ft cottage!) and 2 lovely Junk Guys: hard workers and easy on the eyes as well (the e-o-t-e part seems to be the bonus I get for having to do this stuff. Remember the tree guys in the previous evict??) The Junk Guys arrived at 1030 and left at 1115 with a full load as Dad decided to also start the clear out of the shed behind the cottage and that was good with the sofa-bed and the non-working ("I didn't want to tell you because I was embarassed about not paying the rent") frig for filling up about 3/4 of the truck bed. All this on Friday and we spent the day alternately hauling stuff out, sorting and re-packing the shed, re-setting the railway track (don't ask - it involved me with a shovel and bowlined rope around my waist and my father calling directions down the cliff. An improvement over what he was planning which was the opposite configuration of available personnel which could have led to a premature sorting out of the rest of his estate!) and oohing and aahing over the improvement. The 2 page list is down to about half a page. Next up? Painting - also to be hired out.

We celebrated yesterday by going to the Crow and Gate for lunch and came home to a phone message from my father's cleaning lady: "Is your daughter still there? If so, would she be willing to help me with a tenancy issue?" Four hours later, I think she is sorted....

I should hang out my shingle.

Off to smell the lilacs and gird loins for the pre-California preparation.

Still breathing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home